The Museum of the University “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” is the first museum destined for keeping the cultural assets of the Romanian Academic area.
The Museum of the University of Iassy (Iashi) was founded in 1916 and was dedicated to the conservation of the antiquities kept in the university’s patrimony as a result of the archeological excavation from the area of the Cucuteni culture and of the Greek fortresses from the Black Sea. The Museum worked until the 26th of October 2010 and resumed the activity from the 1st of December 2011, the new formula of organization implying an important transformation, both from a quantitative and a qualitative point of view.
Between the two world wars, many of the initiatives destined to the preservation and the capitalization of the academic patrimony belonged to Ilie Minea, a researcher who manifested interest especially in the pieces belonging to the Moldavian Medieval Age. After the Second World War, all these materials were transferred into the custody of the History Museum of Moldavia, an institution subordinated to the Ministry of Culture.
“The Interest for keeping all the measures regarding the university activity can be registered once with the foundation of the institution, when it was lead by Titu Maiorescu, vice-chancellor between 1863 and 1867.
The initiatives regarding the scientific conservation and the capitalization of the cultural assets, through some specialized publication became reality a little bit later, once the academic institution from Iassy asserted a specific identity.
The preoccupations for the salvation of the historical patrimony of the oldest superior institution in the country became more intense under the impact of the dramatic transformations through which the Romanian society was subjected in the 20th century. These transformations generated the destruction of some important testimonies, especially the infrastructure elements, such as several buildings or furniture pieces, teaching materials and university courses. O series of other sources reached several other particular archives or one initiated the process of fragmentation of the exhibits and of the documents by entrusting them into the custody of some public institutions”, explained PhD Associate Professor Bogdan Maleon.
The Transfer of the prewar administrative documents to the Romania’s National Archives – Iassy County Service, where they have been grouped within the archive funds of the “Vice-chancellorship” and those corresponding to the Faculties, constituted a positive undertaking. Unfortunately, the classification, the conservation and the restoration was not possible within a corresponding manner of all the documentary testimonies regarding the evolution of the higher education of Iassy.
“The scientific processing of the sources represents an intrinsic component of any activity of researching the past, so that the centralization and the systematization of the data must constitute a priority for our university. From this point of view, it is necessary for us to reorganize the specialized institution in dealing with the academic patrimony and the professionalization of the activities developed at its level.
Within this work one must take into account the fact that the university museums represent an expression of the institutional prestige and, at the same time, a catalyser of the academic community. Such formative spaces have the role of a coagulated space of each promotion, constituting, for each graduate, the main identity intellectual reference”, says PhD Associate Professor Bogdan Maleon.
The Institution which has the statute of a department within the university, accumulates the double tradition of valuing the materials resulted the archeological researches and of those which belong to the history of the academic life. Starting form this historical and symbolical legacy, the University Museum is organized within two sections, an archeological and an academic one, which can be found within a complementarity relation.
The Museum of the Cucuteni Civilization resumes the tradition of the Antiquities Museum, founded in 1916 by Professor Orest Tafrali and liquidated by the communist regime, being constituted after the explorations undertaken by the archeological teams of the Iassy academic environment and because of the donation of the Foundation “Cucuteni for the 3rd Millennium.”
The second section, the Academic Museum, includes old exhibits with symbolic value such as decorations, official seals, the flags of the first faculties, as well as a series of documents, medals, photographs, the first editions of some representatives works, old laboratory pieces recently obtained through donations, acquisitions and custodies.
“The connection between these two administrative components is ensured by a unitary conception, according to which the conservation activity and exposition is to be followed by the achievement of a frame suitable to the knowledge of the past university, under all its aspects.
We also function as a formative space and of promoting the university exchanges, thank to the constitution of a research platform dedicated to the past of the higher education institutions and the university culture. The results of these knowledge efforts are capitalise through some scientific manifestations and the most precious contributions published within the museum magazine”, says PhD Associate Professor Bogdan Maleon (National Press Agency AGERPRES).
Arranged and translated by Diana Primejdie Ciuflea