The Balcescu Family’s Mansion – the house where the famous Romanian patriot that lead the Revolution from 1848 lived – is like an open book for getting to know the most authentic representative of a generation that identified itself up to fusion with its ancestry.
"Thou built was thy mansion in Balceshti Village, by the Topolog of Argesh at the beginning of the 19 century by the noble wife Zinca Balcescu as a settlement for her ladyship and her off-springs Costake, Marghioala, Nicolae, Sevastiţa and Barbu. Later on, her daughter had lived here, as inheritress, up to her death - Sevastiţa Bălcescu (died. 1881) good friend and advisor of her brother, Nicolae, the great patriot and historian, who died in exile in Palermo (1852), consequently to the 1848 Revolution. She kept here his papers and documents left by him after his leaving for the exile, that later on, after her death, they were passed over to the Romanian Academy. The building was repaired and extended at the beginning of the 20th century by the great grandson Radu Mandrea, son of Zoe Mandrea, born in the Barbu Balcescu family (died in 1924) and of Nicolae Mandrea, who was a president of the Highest Court of Justice (died in 1910)."
This is what stays written on the commemorative inscription that greets you once you cross the threshold of the Balcescu Mansion from Balceasca Valley, Valcea County – today, the “Nicolae Balcescu Memorial House”. The Museum, opened in 1968, hosts over 15.000 samples of cultural and patrimony items, decorative art, furniture pieces, paintings, an inestimable cultural value and souvenirs archive of Nicolae Bălcescu and his family.
In 1968, on the Topolog Valley, in the village from where the great historian, patriot and revolutionary’s family has its roots, was opened a museum dedicated in memory of Nicolae Balcesu, in the building donated by Radu Mandrea to the state in 1948, to honour his ancestor, and for this to be a „place of recollectedness and study”.
This is a noble mansion, built in the unique Brancovenesc style, with gothic influences, with a surface bigger than 600 m2, of which building, made in more stages, started in 1824, and ended in 1937.
The Museum became an autonomous institution in 1991, after being subordinated to the Valcea County History Museum.
The collections of the ‘Nicolae Bălcescu Memmorial House’ contain over 15.000 de samples of cultural and patrimony items, decorative art, Biedermayer furniture pieces, paintings, an inestimable cultural value and souvenirs archive of Nicolae Bălcescu and his family. The Museum is an open book to the knowing of the most authentic representative of a generation that identified itself up to fusion with its ancestry which it served with full commitment of soul and life.
More information about the museum and its collections: http://ghidulmuzeelor.cimec.ro/id.asp?k=649